from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Subtle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. subtle
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Thin; not dense or gross; rare.
- adj. Delicately constituted or constructed; nice; fine; delicate; tenuous; finely woven.
- adj. Acute; piercing; searching.
- adj. Characterized by nicety of discrimination; discerning; delicate; refined; subtle.
- adj. Sly; artful; cunning; crafty; subtle
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Tenuous; thin; extremely fine; rare; rarefied: as, subtile vapor; subtile odors or effluvia; a subtile powder; a subtile medium. Also subtle.
- Delicately constituted, made, or formed; delicately constructed; thin; slender; fine; delicate; refined; dainty. Also subtle.
- Sharp; penetrating; piercing.
- Same as subtle, 3.
- Same as subtle, 4.
- Same as subtle, 5.
- Same as subtle, 7.
- To contrive or practise cunningly.
- To scheme or plan cunningly.
- To tamper; meddle.
_ I heard Uncle Sam read the first three chapters of Genesis, which he translated into his own lingo as he went along, calling the subtile serpent the most "amiable" of beasts, and ignoring gender, person, and number in an astonishing manner.
Indeed, one of the most exclusive formulations against every possible kind of subtile synergism is found in Article XI when it teaches that the reason why some are converted and saved while others are lost, must not be sought in man, _i. e._, in any minor guilt or less faulty conduct toward grace shown by those who are saved, as compared with the guilt and conduct of those who are lost.
While the key to exploring the world and discovering key resources and the holdings of other nations is to walk across as many tiles as possible, your sovereign can also perform "subtile" movements within a single tile to explore that tile's contents, which will come into play with the game's various quests.
Vaisampayana said, "That which is the twenty-fifth (in the enumeration of topics as made in the Sankhya system) viz., when it becomes able to abstain entirely from acts, succeeds in attaining to the Purushottama which is exceedingly subtile, which is invested with the attribute of
There is a lot to be said for the small and subtile illustrations in these books.
Mr Hatch has such a "well dressed" subtile quality about his racist views.
It was an alchemy of soul occultly subtile and profoundly deep -- a mysterious emanation of the spirit, seductive, sweetly humble, and terribly imperious.
Thought out well, subtile, useable in many applications and nice renders – especially the one of the hands
The difference is subtile, and is technically probably not meaningful… but “randomness” feels like it drags in some unrelated and imprecise baggage.
The difference is subtle, perhaps as subtle as the difference between subtile and subtle, but that is the appropriate term.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.