American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having qualities generally attributed to a woman.
- adj. Belonging to or representative of a woman; feminine: womanly attire. See Synonyms at female.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Characteristic of, like, or befitting a woman; suiting a woman; feminine; not masculine; not girlish: as, womanly behavior.
- Synonyms Womanish, Ladylike, etc. See feminine.
- In the manner of a woman.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Becoming a woman; feminine.
- adv. In the manner of a woman; with the grace, tenderness, or affection of a woman.
- adj. befitting or characteristic of a woman especially a mature woman
- woman + -ly (Wiktionary)
“It could be part culture that being womanly is being pleasant and agreeable.”
“I call womanly; it was not like Ethelbertha at all.”
“Study, exercise, housework, and many wholesome pleasures kept her a happy, hearty creature, yearly growing in womanly graces, yet always preserving the innocent freshness girls lose so soon when too early set upon the world's stage and given a part to play.”
“What you call womanly honor I have been taught to hold as sacred as you yourself, and”
“What you call womanly honor I have been taught to hold as sacred as you yourself, and I have kept it as untainted as any girl living.”
“She's not what I call womanly, and I hate these unsexed females. ”
“That girl, whom I so loved, whom I treated as my child, who was to me an image of what they call womanly purity, throws herself away upon my most detested enemy, a loathsome corpse, whose body, soul, and spirit had already decayed.”
“Young Gulick had soon decided that Susan was the stronger -- therefore, the less "womanly" -- of the two girls, and must be the evil influence over her whom he had appeared just in time to save.”
“The explanation of her strange aberration, which will be doubted or secretly condemned by every woman of the sheltered classes who loves her dependence and seeks to disguise it as something sweet and fine and "womanly" -- the explanation of her almost insane act of renunciation of all that a lady holds most dear is simple enough, puzzling though she found it.”
“Now, you are what I would call womanly -- the womanliest woman I've ever known.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘womanly’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
from the poetry and prose of walt whitman
a list of words that I know already, but have a strange attraction to.
need to know these words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking for tweets for womanly.