from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to men or boys; male.
- adj. Suggestive or characteristic of a man; mannish. See Synonyms at male.
- adj. Grammar Relating or belonging to the gender of words or forms that refer chiefly to males or to things grammatically classified as male.
- adj. Music Ending on an accented beat: a masculine cadence.
- n. Grammar The masculine gender.
- n. Grammar A word or word form of the masculine gender.
- n. A male person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. pertaining to male humans, men:
- adj. in many inflected languages:
- n. The masculine gender.
- n. That which is masculine.
- n. A man.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of the male sex; not female.
- adj. Having the qualities of a man; suitable to, or characteristic of, a man; virile; not feminine or effeminate; strong; robust.
- adj. Belonging to males; appropriated to, or used by, males.
- adj. Having the inflections of, or construed with, words pertaining especially to male beings, as distinguished from
feminineand neuter. See Gender.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Male: opposed to female.
- Having the distinguishing characteristics of the male sex among human beings, physical or mental; pertaining to a man or to men; of manlike quality: opposed to feminine: as, the masculine element of society; masculine spirit or courage.
- As applied derogatively to women, unwomanly; bold; forward: as, her manners are coarse and masculine; she has a masculine air or stride.
- Suitable for the male sex; adapted to or intended for the use of males: as, masculine garments.
- In grammar, belonging to or having the characteristics of that one of the so-called genders into which the nouns, etc., of some languages are divided which includes as its prominent part the names of male beings; having inflections or forms belonging to such words: as, a masculine noun; a masculine termination. See gender.
- In botany, relating to stamens: same as male, 2.
- n. In grammar, the masculine gender; a word of this gender.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. associated with men and not with women
- adj. (music or poetry) ending on an accented beat or syllable
- n. a gender that refers chiefly (but not exclusively) to males or to objects classified as male
- adj. of grammatical gender
Middle English masculin, from Old French, from Latin masculīnus, from masculus, male, diminutive of mās.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French masculin, from Latin masculīnus, diminutive of masculus ("male, manly"), itself a diminutive of mās ("male"). (Wiktionary)