American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having or showing the bravery and resoluteness considered characteristic of a man. See Synonyms at male.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having or expressing the spirit of a man; manifesting the higher qualities of manhood; courageous; noble; high-minded.
- Synonyms Manly, etc. (see masculine); stout, strong, vigorous, undaunted, intrepid.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Showing manliness, or manly spirit; hence, brave, courageous, resolute, noble.
- adj. characteristic of a man
- adj. possessing qualities befitting a man
“Difficulties cannot be artificially overcome," said Mirabeau, "nor is there any invention whereby a man may be spared the trouble of conquering them; they must be grasped firmly, strangled, crushed, trampled down in manful fight.”
“American Slang ups the ante further, amplifying guitarist Alex Rosamilia's failsafe hooks and singer Brian Fallon's manful emoting with the back walls of stadiums in mind.”
“First time anything like this has happened to him, and of course he's very manful, but his wife is not so easy about it!”
“The most positive gender relations one was Google, and they showed no actual humans, and the voices in the background made it clear it was a manful man doing the proactive searching.”
“But I strode manful towards the door of the room I was in, seeing a like crack of light under it.”
“He was not a “president stiff and small,” as Mike described him in Newsweek, and the clear, manful, and gracious tone that comes across in all of those post-9/11 speeches was not some invention of the speechwriters.”
“The essence of our poetic tradition is to be found instead in the unadorned language of the Manyōshū and the manful haiku of Buson!”
“They met, as was the phrase of the time, “manful under shield.””
“Jon Craig of the Cincinnati Enquirer has made a manful effort to look into the event -- and, predictably, to deny any suggestion that the lockdown helped Bush/Cheney steal their "re-election.”
“There has been no one alive enough to my needs to be afoot and rouse me — to ring the morning bell for me — to call me up to manful work anew.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘manful’.
Looking for tweets for manful.