from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Intellectually, morally, or socially superior.
- adj. Informal Pretentiously elegant or fashionable: a high-toned restaurant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a pretentious, high-class attitude
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. High in tone or sound.
- adj. Elevated; high-principled; honorable.
- adj. pretentious, pompous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- High in pitch: as, a high-toned instrument.
- Having high principles; dignified; self-respecting: as, a high-toned character.
- Stylish; fashionable; pretentious.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. pretentiously elegant
Sorry, no etymologies found.