from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Courageously noble in mind and heart.
- adj. Generous in forgiving; eschewing resentment or revenge; unselfish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Noble and generous in spirit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Great of mind; elevated in soul or in sentiment; raised above what is low, mean, or ungenerous; of lofty and courageous spirit
- adj. Dictated by or exhibiting nobleness of soul; honorable; noble; not selfish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Great of mind or heart; of high and steadfast courage; elevated in. soul or in sentiment; high-minded; raised above what is low, mean, or ungenerous.
- Dictated by greatness of mind or heart; exhibiting nobleness of soul; liberal and honorable; unselfish.
- Synonyms Generous (see noble); high-minded, great-souled, chivalrous.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. noble and generous in spirit
- adj. generous and understanding and tolerant
From Latin magnanimus : magnus, great; see meg- in Indo-European roots + animus, soul, mind; see anə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin magnanimus, from magnus ("great") + animus ("soul, mind"). (Wiktionary)