from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of considerable size, number, quantity, magnitude, or extent; large. See Synonyms at large.
- adj. Of great force; strong: a big wind; in a big rage.
- adj. Obsolete Of great strength.
- adj. Mature or grown-up: big enough to take the bus by herself.
- adj. Older or eldest. Used especially of a sibling: My big brother is leaving for college next week.
- adj. Pregnant: big with child.
- adj. Filled up; brimming over: felt big with love.
- adj. Having or exercising considerable authority, control, or influence: a big official; a big chief.
- adj. Conspicuous in position, wealth, or importance; prominent: a big figure in the peace movement.
- adj. Of great significance; momentous: a big decision; a big victory.
- adj. Informal Widely liked, used, or practiced; popular: "For public opinion . . . has grown harsh and yuppie-bashing is big” ( Sally Jacobs).
- adj. Informal Self-important; cocky: You're too big for your own good.
- adj. Loud and firm; resounding: a big voice.
- adj. Bountiful; generous: had a big heart.
- adv. In a pretentious or boastful way: talked big about the new job.
- adv. Informal With considerable success: made it big with their recent best-selling album.
- adv. Informal In a thorough or unmistakable way; emphatically: failed big at the box office.
- idiom big on Enthusiastic about; partial to: "The Japanese are big on ranking things and deciding which is Number One” ( James Fallows).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of great size, large.
- adj. Thought to have undue influence.
- adj. Popular.
- adj. Adult.
- adj. Fat.
- adj. Important or significant.
- adj. Enthusiastic (about).
- adj. Mature, conscientious, principled.
- adj. Well-endowed, possessing large breasts in the case of a woman or a large penis in the case of a man.
- adv. In a loud manner.
- adv. In a boasting manner.
- adv. In a large amount or to a large extent.
- adv. On a large scale, expansively
- adv. Hard.
- n. An important or powerful person; a celebrity; a big name.
- n. The big leagues, big time.
- v. To praise or recommend
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having largeness of size; of much bulk or magnitude; of great size; large.
- adj. Great with young; pregnant; swelling; ready to give birth or produce; -- often figuratively.
- adj. Having greatness, fullness, importance, inflation, distention, etc., whether in a good or a bad sense. As applied to looks, it indicates haughtiness or pride.
- n. Barley, especially the hardy four-rowed kind.
- transitive v. To build.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of great strength or power.
- Having great size; large in bulk or magnitude, absolutely or relatively.
- Great with young; pregnant; ready to give birth; hence, figuratively, full of something important; ready to produce; teeming.
- . Distended; full, as of grief, passion, courage, determination, goodness, etc.
- . Tumid; inflated, as with pride; hence, haughty in air or mien, or indicating haughtiness; pompous; proud; boastful: as, big looks; big words.
- . Great as regards influence, standing, wealth, etc.
- Synonyms Large, etc. (see great), bulky, huge, massive.
- 5. Lofty, pompous, arrogant, important.
- . To inhabit; occupy.
- 2. Reflexively, to locate one's self.
- 3. To build; erect; fashion.
- To dwell; have a dwelling.
- n. A kind of winter barley cultivated in northern Europe, especially in Scotland; properly, four-rowed barley, Hordeum vulgare, inferior to but hardier than H. hexastichon, of which it is sometimes called a variety. See bear.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. loud and firm
- adj. above average in size or number or quantity or magnitude or extent
- adj. prodigious
- adv. in a boastful manner
- adj. conspicuous in position or importance
- adj. exhibiting self-importance
- adj. given or giving freely
- adj. (of animals) fully developed
- adj. generous and understanding and tolerant
- adj. in an advanced stage of pregnancy
- adj. feeling self-importance
- adv. extremely well
- adj. very intense
- adj. significant
- adv. in a major way
- adv. on a grand scale
- adj. marked by intense physical force
Middle English, perhaps of Scandinavian origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From northern Middle English dialect big, bigge ("powerful, strong"), of uncertain origin, possibly from a dialect of Old Norse. Compare bugge ("great man"). (Wiktionary)