from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Ready for marriage; of a marriageable age or condition. Used of young women.
- adj. Sexually mature and attractive. Used of young women.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of an age suitable for marriage; marriageable (used of a young woman).
- adj. sexually attractive (used of a young woman).
- n. A young sexually-attractive woman
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of an age suitable for marriage; marriageable.
- adj. Sexually attractive, sometimes used as a genteel euphemism for having well-developed breasts; -- of a young woman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of an age suitable for marriage; marriageable.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of girls or women who are eligible to marry
Latin nūbilis, from nūbere, to take a husband.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French nubile, from Latin nubilis ("marriageable"), from nūbō ("marry, to take as husband"), from Proto-Indo-European *sneubho- (“to marry, to wed”). Possibly cognate with Ancient Greek νύμφη ("bride, young wife, nymph") (English nymph), but this is disputed. (Wiktionary)