from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A very important person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person of importance to a group or organization
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A person of consequence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A great man; a person of consequence; one high in authority or rank.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the most important person in a group or undertaking
big + wig This definition is lacking an etymology or has an incomplete etymology. You can help Wiktionary by giving it a proper etymology. English people used to wear wigs which denote their position in the government. The size of the wig varies with the position and the one with higher position will have a bigger wig. (Wiktionary)