from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person of high rank or position.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an important or influential person, or one of high rank or position
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who possesses exalted rank or holds a position of dignity or honor; especially, one who holds an ecclesiastical rank above that of a parochial priest or clergyman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who holds an exalted rank or office; especially, an ecclesiastic who ranks higher than a priest or canon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an important or influential (and often overbearing) person
Sorry, no etymologies found.