from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who holds an office or a trust or performs a particular function; an official.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person employed as an official in a bureaucracy (usually corporate or governmental) who holds limited authority and primarily serves to carry out a simple function for which discretion is not required.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One charged with the performance of a function or office
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who holds an office or a trust: as, a public functionary; secular functionaries.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a worker who holds or is invested with an office
Sorry, no etymologies found.