American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who holds an office or a trust or performs a particular function; an official.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who holds an office or a trust: as, a public functionary; secular functionaries.
- n. A person employed as an official in a bureaucracy (usually corporate or governmental) who holds limited authority and primarily serves to carry out a simple function for which discretion is not required.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One charged with the performance of a function or office
- n. a worker who holds or is invested with an office
“A government functionary is going to make rules about what you can get and what you can't!”
“No. We want a-- er -- what the deuce is it they call the functionary, Cassius?”
“He had the characteristic of a good functionary, that is to say, he had no mind of his own, and simply did what he was told or what he conceived to be his duty as a member of the administrative system.”
“Most of what the public sees the practitioner doing could be described as functionary activity.”
“Finally, we referred to the transformation of the teacher's identity from that of a state "functionary" - "a word that is rarely used today, while a few years before it indicated a prestigious identity and an obsolete social-democratic,”
“That said, I think I am right when I talk about the 'functionary'.”
“According to GOP party "functionary" Hugh Hewitt, the conservative white men are chickening out because YouTube and CNN have that famous liberal bias.”
“We must spell out what kind of functionary can be removed at any particular moment of the day or night.”
“There's a lot of crap you can say about Blanche -- and we do -- but a "functionary" of Nancy Pelosi?”
“The fish are being proffered—oops, offered—by a cold-hearted functionary of the New York Zoo, while the love emanates from, yes, you guessed it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘functionary’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words and phrases from Scott Lynch's book, The Lies of Locke Lamora
Looking for tweets for functionary.