from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that is employed to look after or take charge of goods, property, or a person; a custodian.
- n. One that temporarily performs the duties of an office: The government resigned, but the premier served as caretaker until new leaders could be elected.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who takes care of a place or thing; someone looking after somewhere, or with responsibility for keeping a place in good repair.
- n. Someone who takes care of a person; a parent, carer or other guardian.
- adj. Temporary, on a short term basis.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who takes care of something.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a custodian who is hired to take care of something (property or a person)
- n. an official who performs the duties of an office temporarily
The use of the word "caretaker" suggests Mr. Ahmadinejad's task as head of the oil ministry might be only temporary.
And the fact that he ` s in Kentucky with his family means he ` s willing to build what I call a caretaker support network, where there are people to back her up and make her feel like she has family around.
'Women can be more prone, simply because they are biologically programmed to be nurturers and to have what we call a caretaker personality.
The boys 'sole caretaker is Elaine, who also acts as their surrogate mother.
Her imitation of a human caretaker is providing scientists with new insight into social learning and the evolution of speech.
This caretaker is sacrificing her life to do this.
The primary caretaker is considered to hold a very special place in the child's affections, distinct from his attachments to others (Bowlby, J 1969).
It may be that a caretaker is deeply concerned for a depressed friend, but struggles to imagine their experience.
Our caretaker is going to insist that we top it all off with something nasty.
Just because Elvis Attwood, school caretaker from the Planet of the Loons, tripped over his own wheelbarrow (when I told him Jas was on fire), I am banned from school.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.