American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A man who is employed to stand guard or keep watch.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person set to keep watch; specifically, a sentinel; a guard; one who guards the streets of a city by night; also, one set to keep guard, as over a building in the night, to protect it from fire or thieves.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One set to watch; a person who keeps guard; a guard; a sentinel.
- n. Specifically, one who guards a building, or the streets of a city, by night.
- n. a guard who keeps watch
“When a watchman is absent, or remiss, or bribed, the stream is turned out of its course, and every one helps himself or fills his cistern.”
“One of the most important functions of the watchman is to be seen from the street with my evil looking dog.”
“Approaching the garden wing, he called the watchman twice.”
“But her daughter in a fright, called the watchman of the night,”
“The landlady in a fright, calls the watchman of the night,”
“I taught the night-yardman my call, so I could get half an hour's sleep now and then between trains, and in case the station was called the watchman would awaken me.”
“The watchman is the perceptive faculty, which, gathering the various impressions of the five senses, conveys them to the King, the human soul.”
“I taught the night yardman my call, so I could get half an hour's sleep now and then between trains, and in case the station was called the watchman was to wake me.”
“He had but to call the watchman on its deck, and a small boat would come to him in”
“The watchman was a fine-looking fellow: as we were returning from church, on Sunday, he had passed us, well-dressed and well-mounted, and as he raised his hat, to salute us, there was nothing in his manner or appearance, except his color, to distinguish him from a gentleman of good-breeding and fortune.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘watchman’.
Everything that contains a man in it
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Looking for tweets for watchman.