from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A police officer in charge of several other officers.
- n. One, such as a delivery person, who makes rounds.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A worker who makes rounds, especially in order to deliver goods
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A patrolman; also, a policeman who acts as an inspector over the rounds of the patrolmen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A police officer, of a rank above patrolmen and below sergeants, who goes the rounds within a prescribed district to see that the patrolmen or ordinary policemen attend to their duties properly, and to aid them in case of necessity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a workman employed to make rounds (to deliver goods or make inspections or so on)
Sorry, no etymologies found.