from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who is appointed or employed to inspect something.
- n. A police officer ranking next below superintendent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a person employed to inspect something
- n. a police officer ranking below superintendent
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who inspects, views, or oversees; one to whom the supervision of any work is committed; one who makes an official view or examination, as a military or civil officer; a superintendent; a supervisor; an overseer.
- n. A police officer, typically holding a rank one below superintendent, and in some cases in charge of several precincts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who inspects or oversees; one whose duty it is to secure by supervision the proper performance of work of any kind, or to ascertain by examination the quality or condition of the work, or of any article offered for sale or transfer; a public officer charged with such duties: as, the inspectors of election or of police; an inspector of weights and measures. Specifically
- n. An initiate in the mysteries of Eleusis; an epopt or seer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a high ranking police officer
- n. an investigator who observes carefully
From Latin in- + spectāre, to look. (Wiktionary)