American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who is appointed or employed to inspect something.
- n. A police officer ranking next below superintendent.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who inspects or oversees; one whose duty it is to secure by supervision the proper performance of work of any kind, or to ascertain by examination the quality or condition of the work, or of any article offered for sale or transfer; a public officer charged with such duties: as, the inspectors of election or of police; an inspector of weights and measures. Specifically
- n. An initiate in the mysteries of Eleusis; an epopt or seer.
- n. a person employed to inspect something
- n. law enforcement a police officer ranking below superintendent
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who inspects, views, or oversees; one to whom the supervision of any work is committed; one who makes an official view or examination, as a military or civil officer; a superintendent; a supervisor; an overseer.
- n. A police officer, typically holding a rank one below superintendent, and in some cases in charge of several precincts.
- n. a high ranking police officer
- n. an investigator who observes carefully
- From Latin in- + spectāre, to look. (Wiktionary)
“ANDREW MORTON, AUTHOR, "TOM CRUISE: AN UNAUTHORIZED BIOGRAPHY": He could be in the position of what they call inspector general inside scientology.”
“My greatest achievement as an inspector is my failure to get promoted each time I try … it settles a deeply held personal fear that I might be morphing against my will into a suitable candidate for middle-management! on November 11, 2009 at 9: 28 pm Merlin”
“We still have old fashioned performance targets which my own inspector is STILL desperately trying to get me on board with on September 16, 2009 at 8: 03 am Squaddie on tour”
“On Oct. 18, "the three accused confronted [the victim] outside her house and threatened her of dire consequences if she didn't repay the loan she had taken," said Gunshekhar, an inspector from the police station that made the arrest in rural Andhra Pradesh.”
“You are right that bribing a health inspector is conspiring with him to commit fraud, which is criminal activity.”
“My inspector is one of those career minded nob-heads who will be the first against the wall if I had my way. on February 5, 2010 at 1: 37 am allcoppedout”
“SUSPENDED, after a swoop from Professional standards d***heads, sorry department. this chief inspector is reasonably high up in the disposal and management of offenders, and shes allowed to remain at work, despite the arrest and allegation being that of a dishinesty offence????? yep, the world has gone mad and im reminded of it everyday … … … on December 2, 2009 at 10: 43 am Olivers Army”
“A BCC (Brisbane City Council) parking inspector is a subhuman blend of troll and gremlin.”
“A former chief United Nations weapons inspector is accused of contacting what he thought was a 15-year-old girl in an Internet chat room, engaging in a sexual conversation and showing himself masturbating on a Web camera.”
“A UN weapons inspector is sent to investigate the find, teaming with a space station crew, when a powerful conglomerate moves in to exploit the discovery.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘inspector’.
The negative impact of media on young generations (violence, sexual content, hate speech, etc.)
sexualization, child sex traffic..., pornified, porning, corporate paedoph..., sexualised repres..., sexual appeal, sexually objectified, premature sexuali..., sexual connotations, European Parents'..., healthy development and 160 more...
medical planning ..., Talib, Taliban, top Kurdish milit..., terrorist, chief of intellig..., chief of public i..., head of PR depart..., media officer, medical intellige..., PR assistant, PR consultant and 105 more...
Use these and get promoted
Words used quite often in steampunk
Help me build a list of things you'd find in a construction zone or at a construction site.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 3027 more...
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for inspector.