from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of inspecting.
- n. Official examination or review, as of barracks or troops.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Act of examining something, often closely.
- n. Organization that checks that certain laws or rules are obeyed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of inspecting or looking at carefully; a strict or prying examination; close or careful scrutiny; investigation.
- n. The act of overseeing; official examination or superintendence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of inspecting; critical examination; close or careful survey; specifically, a formal or official inquiry by actual observation into the state, efficiency, safety, quality, etc., of something of special moment, as troops, police, buildings, steam-vessels, drugs, etc.
- n. Synonyms Investigation, Search, etc. See examination.
- n. A district subject to official inspection.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a formal or official examination
From Latin inspectiō ("examination, inspection"), from the verb inspectō ("I inspect"), from spectō ("I observe, I watch"), frequentive of speciō ("I look at"). (Wiktionary)