from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of constructing.
- n. The art, trade, or work of building: an engineer trained in highway construction; worked in construction for seven years.
- n. A structure, such as a building, framework, or model.
- n. Something fashioned or devised systematically: a nation that was glorious in its historical construction.
- n. An artistic composition using various materials; an assemblage or a collage.
- n. The way in which something is built or put together: a shelter of simple construction.
- n. The interpretation or explanation given to an expression or a statement: I was inclined to put a favorable construction on his reply.
- n. Grammar The arrangement of words to form a meaningful phrase, clause, or sentence.
- n. Grammar A group of words so arranged.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process of constructing.
- n. Anything that has been constructed.
- n. The trade of building structures
- n. A building, model or some other structure
- n. A (usually non-representational) structure, such as a collage etc.
- n. The manner in which something is built.
- n. A group of words arranged to form a meaningful phrase.
- n. The act or result of construing the meaning of something.
- n. The meaning or interpretation of a text, action etc.; the way something is viewed by an observer or onlooker.
- n. A geometric figure of arcs and line segments that is drawable with a straightedge and compass.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The process or art of constructing; the act of building; erection; the act of devising and forming; fabrication; composition.
- n. The form or manner of building or putting together the parts of anything; structure; arrangement.
- n. The arrangement and connection of words in a sentence; syntactical arrangement.
- n. The method of construing, interpreting, or explaining a declaration or fact; an attributed sense or meaning; understanding; explanation; interpretation; sense.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of building or making; the act of devising and forming; fabrication.
- n. The way or form in which a thing is built or made; the manner of putting together the parts, as of a building, a ship, a machine, or a system; structure.
- n. That which is constructed; a structure.
- n. In geometry, a figure drawn so as to satisfy given conditions; the method of drawing such a figure with given mathematical instruments, especially with rule and compasses.
- n. In grammar, syntax or the arrangement and connection of words in a sentence according to established usages or the practice of good writers and speakers; syntactical arrangement.
- n. The act of construing; the mann of understanding or construing the arrangement of words, or of explaining facts; attributed sense or meaning; explanation; interpretation.
- n. Specifically In law: Interpretation; intelligent reading with explanation, such as to define the meaning. An altered reading of the text of an instrument, designed to make clear an ambiguity or uncertainty in its actual expression, or to show its application to, or exclusion of, matters which upon its face are not clearly included or excluded.
- n. Nautical, the method of ascertaining a ship's course by means of trigonometrical problems and diagrams.
- n. In music, the composition of a work according to an appreciable plan.
- n. In the Kantian philosophy, a synthesis of arbitrarily formed conceptions.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a thing constructed; a complex entity constructed of many parts
- n. the commercial activity involved in repairing old structures or constructing new ones
- n. the act of constructing something
- n. an interpretation of a text or action
- n. a group of words that form a constituent of a sentence and are considered as a single unit
- n. drawing a figure satisfying certain conditions as part of solving a problem or proving a theorem
- n. the creation of a construct; the process of combining ideas into a congruous object of thought
From Latin cōnstructiō, from cōnstruere, present active infinitive of cōnstruō. (Wiktionary)