American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act of one that makes.
- n. The process of coming into being: trouble in the making.
- n. The means of gaining success or realizing potential: That job will be the making of you.
- n. Something made.
- n. The quantity made at one time.
- n. The abilities or qualities needed for development. Often used in the plural: She has the makings of a fine teacher.
- n. The material or ingredients needed for making or doing something: all the makings for an apple pie.
- n. Informal The paper and tobacco for rolling a cigarette.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of forming, causing, or constituting; workmanship; construction.
- n. What has been made, especially at one time: as, a making of bread.
- n. Composition; structure; make.
- n. Material from which anything may be made; anything capable of being developed into something more advanced.
- n. Poetical composition; poetry.
- n. Fortune; means or cause of success.
- n. plural In coal-mining, the slack and dirt made in holing, kirving, or undercutting the coal.
- n. Process of growth or development.
- v. present participle of make.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of one who makes; workmanship; fabrication; construction.
- n. Composition, or structure.
- n. obsolete a poem.
- n. That which establishes or places in a desirable state or condition; the material of which something may be made.
- n. obsolete External appearance; from.
- n. an attribute that must be met or complied with and that fits a person for something
- n. (usually plural) the components needed for making or doing something
- n. the act that results in something coming to be
- make + -ing (Wiktionary)
“_ -- In making this dial you need have no regard to the latitude of the situation, for that is to be considered in the _placing_, and not in the _making_ of it. 1st.”
“Thats such a thing as I never heared of before, said uncle Pullet, who had been making haste with his lozenge in order to express his amazement, making away with a note!”
“I do not understand in what the discovery consisted; there may be a secret method of making an artificial composition, but how can you talk of _making_ a substance which naturally exists?”
“ Case responded by moving partners between offices, making lateral hires (which is ongoing) and making up five across its global network.”
“Perhaps it is a double entendre, but with author Sheila Kohler's original location being transported to the UK in the film, there is little chance of the title making real sense unless you read the book -- something I plan on doing soon, even if my damned Kindle does not consider it as important as say, Chelsea, Chelsea Bang Bang...”
“Much of the jargon making the crossover to real life is shorthand for new concepts, such as skin-in-the-game and subsidiarization, which everyone struggles to pronounce," Ms. Tahyar says.”
“He laughed, but broke off abruptly, the sudden change in his expression making Beth frown.”
“They seemed to tunnel through her with their sorrow, something about their expression making it seem as though Poe were silently beseeching the onlooker for something.”
“In 1999, all EU nations agreed "there would be something on the label making clear whether it's pure cocoa butter" or not, said Waite.”
“Nero said, his expression making it clear that he did not really believe Otto had a solution to their current problems.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘making’.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Looking for tweets for making.