from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of grinding, especially grinding grain into flour or meal.
- n. The operation of cutting, shaping, finishing, or working products manufactured in a mill.
- n. The ridges cut on the edges of coins.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The notches around the edge of a coin, placed there during minting so that it can be told if some of the metal from the edge is removed. Removing metal from a coin was common practice during earlier times when coins made of precious metals circulated.
- v. Present participle of mill.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or employment of grinding or passing through a mill; the process of fulling; the process of making a raised or intented edge upon coin, etc.; the process of dressing surfaces of various shapes with rotary cutters. See mill.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The process of grinding, or subjecting materials to the action of the machinery of a grinding-mill. Specifically
- n. The manufacture of cereals into flour or meal.
- n. The operation of upsetting the edge of a coin-blank to form the milled edge; also, the operation of putting the series of small transverse ridges and furrows on the edge of an otherwise finished coin, or on a screw-head to adapt it for easy turning with the fingers. See milled screw, under screw.
- n. A method of shaping metals in a milling-machine, by passing the metal under a serrated revolving cylinder or cutter
- n. In metal-working, a method of ornamenting metallic surfaces by treatment in a lathe with ribbed tools, which produce ridged surfaces.
- n. A method of softening and opening the pores of hides by placing them with some tan-liquor in a wooden drum which is caused to revolve.
- n. The felting or fulling of a cloth to thicken it.
- n. In pottery, the operation of grinding and mixing the slip.
- n. A thrashing; a fight; a beating.
- n. The act of playing around in a circle: said of a school of fish. Also called cart-wheeling.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. corrugated edge of a coin
Sorry, no etymologies found.