from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The study of the earth's structural features.
- n. The art or science of construction, especially of large buildings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study of crustal plates and other large-scale structural features of the Earth.
- n. The science and art of assembling, shaping, or ornamenting materials in construction.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science, or the art, by which implements, vessels, dwellings, or other edifices, are constructed, both agreeably to the end for which they are designed, and in conformity with artistic sentiments and ideas.
- n. the branch of geology concerned with the rock structures and external forms resulting from the deformation of the earth's crust; also, similar studies of other planets. Also called structural geology.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Building, or any assembling of materials in construction, considered as an art: sometimes restricted to the shaping and ornamentation of furniture, cups, and weapons, including the different processes of inlaying, embossing, application, casting, soldering, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of geology studying the folding and faulting of the earth's crust
- n. the science of architecture
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I gave you an article by a professor, a top expert on this subject, which clearly states that plate tectonics is THE KEY REASON why oil and gas deposits are found in four areas including deserts and arctic areas.
Plate tectonics is also responsible for creating the “pressure cooker” that slowly matures the organics into oil and gas.
“Next up, wingnuts claiming that plate tectonics is a hoax.”
Next up, wingnuts claiming that plate tectonics is a hoax.
Since tectonics is literally at the root of architecture (archi-tektonike), this dual mode of operation is also at the core of architecture.
I think it’s important to remember when looking at stuff like this that even among scientists there isn’t instant acceptance of ideas now taken for granted: plate tectonics is now the broadly-accepted theory that it is basically because its naysayers have all died off.
Dr. Chu gently reminded Barton of this little thing we call plate tectonics aka the Contintental Drift Theory.
Its the shape of the penninsula, the tectonics, that is interesting.
"We show that this occurred because of limited melting of the asteroid, and thus illustrate that the formation of andesite crust has occurred in our solar system by processes other than plate tectonics, which is the generally accepted process that created the crust of Earth."
New evidence suggests that plate tectonics, which is largely responsible for Earth's life-friendly conditions, was in place a billion years earlier than thought
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.