from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of harmonic.
- n. (music) The science of musical sounds
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The doctrine or science of musical sounds.
- n. Secondary and less distinct tones which accompany any principal, and apparently simple, tone, as the octave, the twelfth, the fifteenth, and the seventeenth. The name is also applied to the artificial tones produced by a string or column of air, when the impulse given to it suffices only to make a part of the string or column vibrate; overtones.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science of musical sounds: a department of acoustics.
- n. The mathematical theory of harmonies (see harmonic, n., 2), or the development of expressions for the Newtonian potentials.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the study of musical sound
Sorry, no etymologies found.