from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A system to develop or improve the memory.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of mnemonic.
- n. The study of techniques for remembering anything more easily.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The art of memory; a method for improving the memory; a system of precepts and rules intended to assist the memory; artificial memory.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art of improving or developing memory; a system of precepts and rules intended to assist or improve the memory. Also mnemonic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a method or system for improving the memory
The two systems are similarly comparable as far as keyboard accessibility is concerned, but Windows-minded users will have a hard time memorizing the combinations instead of reading the mnemonics from the menus.
The art of mnemonics is insufficiently taught, and when practised by novices is apt to lead to confusion: witness the crude prep. -school chestnut about Mrs. Lummock and Mrs. Kelly.
Sure, keyword mnemonics can be very useful for anyone trying to improve their vocabulary.
Systematic, or scientific study is invaluable as supplying a natural kind of mnemonics, if for nothing else.
I need those mnemonics to recall which book a scene is in, or which year a story is from.
We've left two words without mnemonics so you can practise making some of your own.
The table below shows a list of nine more Estonian words, with mnemonics provided by the community at memrise.com.
As illustrated by Foer's example, the key with mnemonics is creating the most striking visual images possible.
A visit to any bookshop will reveal myriad self-help books promoting the use of mnemonics as a means of improving your memory.
PSD: mnemonics be ok for the IN crowd but us bludy outsiders we have to look it up and i found this two seem to fit:
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.