American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.
- n. An abbreviation formed by (usually initial) letters taken from a word or series of words, that is itself pronounced as a word, such as RAM, radar, or scuba; sometimes contrasted with initialism.
- n. A pronounceable word formed from the beginnings (letter or syllable) of other words and thus representing the phrase so formed, e.g. Benelux = the countries Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg considered as a political or economic whole.
- n. Any abbreviation so formed, regardless of pronunciation, such as TNT, IBM, or XML.
- n. a word formed from the initial letters of the several words in the name
- acro- + -onym c. 1943 (Wiktionary)
- acr(o)- + -onym. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In the book it states the letters in the title acronym stand for the four main components of productive meetings.”
“The group, whose acronym is Spanish for "enough," said if the council members don't step down by Monday's council meeting, it will begin working for their recall.”
“The term acronym, although said to have originated some time in the 1940s, took time to achieve dictionary recognition.”
“In the context of your story, the acronym is a noun, so it might look weird if you had to write a sentence like this: When the supervillains escaped, the President knew he had to call SURLY.”
“This acronym is the standard one, appearing as it does in the fanboy magazine Locus.”
“In my posting on almost-recursive acronyms, I noted that the company Cygnus, whose name expands to “Cygnus, Your GNU Support,” was not guilty of what I referred to as acronym stacking.”
“The acronym is a total, unmitigated disaster for anyone entering this space ….”
“Actually, if you include every word, the acronym is TARARA.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘acronym’.
A collection of words found in English that are either purely Greek or have Greek etymology.
Please add with caution and certainty. Will be regularly updated by me.
This used to be my nym list, but there are so many words about words, I think it's time to expand and open.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Source and definitions: http://phrontistery.info/name.html
denoting or relating to names
My ambition is to build a list with the names for
1. ALL types of word formation
2. the words put together by 1.
using a strict definition: e.g. "antonym", "aptronym" "palindrom...
My big word list.
A list of all the HTML tags.
need to know these words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most of these describe word patterns or relationships between words.
hard word word 4 strong vocab
Looking for tweets for acronym.