American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Relating to, assisting, or intended to assist the memory.
- n. A device, such as a formula or rhyme, used as an aid in remembering.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to memory; especially, assisting or intended to assist the memory: as, mnemonic words; mnemonic lines.
- n. Same as mnemonics.
- adj. Of or relating to mnemonics: the study of techniques for remembering anything more easily.
- n. Anything (especially something in verbal form) used to help remember something.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Assisting in memory; helping to remember.
- n. Something used to assist the memory, as an easily remembered acronym or verse.
- n. An abbreviated word that resembles the full word, used so as to be easily recognized.
- n. a device (such as a rhyme or acronym) used to aid recall
- adj. of or relating to or involved the practice of aiding the memory
- From New Latin mnemonicus, from Ancient Greek μνημονικός (mnēmonikos, "of memory"), from μνήμον ("remembering, mindful"), from μνᾶσθαι (mnasthai, "to remember"), from Proto-Indo-European *men- (“to think”); see mind. (Wiktionary)
- Greek mnēmonikos, from mnēmōn, mnēmon-, mindful; see men-1 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The new mnemonic is C-A-B; we're now supposed to start chest compressions right after calling 911; adjusting the airway comes next, leaving the rescue breaths for last.”
“Not only does he not mention the possibility of intervention in mnemonic and sensory structures; it's hard to reconcile such a possibility with his assertion that the linguistic structure that, he finds, disarticulates the Third”
“Is your "love of the new" [I won't repeat calling it the Purina Effect, although perhaps they'd be happy I find the name mnemonic for pet food] the sole reason you miss down-level breaks?”
“71The intangible objective of the New Jerusalem did not diminish but rather elevated the value of material works, particularly those assisting in mnemonic composition.”
““Let cockroaches dig mines” hmm the mnemonic is correct, but the preceding explanation isn’t.”
“Then we find mnemonic aid, which is somewhat of a redundancy inasmuch as the word mnemonic alone is defined as "assisting, or aiding memory. ”
“A technique that LaBerge calls mnemonic induction of lucid dreams, or MILD, involves waking up an hour earlier than usual in the morning, recalling your last dream, and going asleep again while thinking, "The next time I'm dreaming, I want to remember I'm dreaming.”
“A mnemonic is a short rhyme, phrase, or other mental technique for making information easier to memorize.”
“Even so, I shall regularly speak in terms of the evil genius (following Descartes 'lead), as a kind of mnemonic for the more general doubt about our cognitive nature.”
“By using simple methods such as mnemonic devices, we can remember the correlations more easily and thus keep our orientation in the mandala throughout the initiation.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘mnemonic’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Forgetting words & remembrance words.
...with grateful thanks to telofy (for "cnidarian"), and to the song "Crazy ABC's" by Barenaked Ladies.
I'm sure folks have made other lists like this... I just can't remember what they're called or where to find them. Pneumonic Devices? No... that's not it....
Roy G. Biv, all cows eat grass, good boys do fine..., every good boy do..., face, barbara, please excuse my ..., King Penguins con..., keep pond clean o..., all cars eat gas, never eat shredde..., my very educated ... and 68 more...
Words full of m's and n's are a little-known cure for sadness.
words delicious to pronounce
a couple words
List of most of the words I've learned
By David Foster Wallace
Looking for tweets for mnemonic.