from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology The goddess of memory, mother of the Muses.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A Titan, the personification of memory, the daughter of Gaia and Uranus, and the mother of the Muses by Zeus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The goddess of memory and the mother of the Muses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Greek myth, the goddess of memory, daughter of Uranus (heaven) and Ge (earth), and mother, by Zeus, of the Muses.
- n. [NL.] In entomology, a genus of hemipterous insects of the family Fulgoridæ, separated from Flata by Stål in 1866 for the South American M. planiceps.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Greek mythology) the Titaness who was goddess of memory; mother of the Muses
Peter J Evans' Mnemosyne's Kiss is a post-cyberpunk novel, very much in a similar vein to John Courtney-Grimwood's Napoleonic futures.
The word 'Mnemosyne' written over the entrance door in London sounds an unintended but distinct biographical undertone.
Comme des Garcons x Daphne Guinness 'Mnemosyne' Video Release: Daphne Guinness, having just released her new pe ..
"Mnemosyne," in Greek mythology, is the personification of memory, which you of course did not know, and that's why you'll never be able to afford this USB drive.
Psychedelic Stoner Rockers Lethe Post Tracklisting for "Mnemosyne"
The Greeks, for example, saw inspiration as coming from the muses, creatures born of either Zeus and Mnemosyne (goddess of memory), or of Uranus (the Sky) and Gaia (the Earth).
Hamburg art "Atlas: How to Carry the World on One's Back?" is a selection of 20th- and 21st-century art based on the "Mnemosyne Atlas of Images," suggesting similarities in art from seemingly different disciplines and time periods, such as works by Salvador Dalí, Walker Evans, Sophie Calle, Thomas Ruff and Kurt Schwitters.
When style icon Daphne Guinness launched her first fragrance, Mnemosyne, in collaboration with Comme des Garcons last year, she also created a film by the same name in collaboration with a co-director, David Parker.
When style icon Daphne Guinness launched her first fragrance, Mnemosyne, in collaboration with Comme des Garcons last year, she also created a film by the ...
Then came Mnemosyne (1999), mixing ancient and modern.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.