from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology The goddess of memory, mother of the Muses.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A Titan, the personification of memory, the daughter of Gaia and Uranus, and the mother of the Muses by Zeus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The goddess of memory and the mother of the Muses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Greek myth, the goddess of memory, daughter of Uranus (heaven) and Ge (earth), and mother, by Zeus, of the Muses.
- n. [NL.] In entomology, a genus of hemipterous insects of the family Fulgoridæ, separated from Flata by Stål in 1866 for the South American M. planiceps.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Greek mythology) the Titaness who was goddess of memory; mother of the Muses
Greek Mnēmosunē, from mnēmosunē, memory, from mnēmē; see men-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek Μνημοσύνη. (Wiktionary)