from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having, caused by, or relating to a speed greater than the speed of sound in a given medium, especially air.
- adj. Of or relating to sound waves beyond human audibility.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. ultrasonic, having a frequency too high to be audible
- adj. greater than the speed of sound (in the same medium, and at the same temperature and pressure)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Moving at a speed greater than the speed of sound in air; -- this speed varies with altitude, since the speed of sound varies with altitude, as well as with temperature and humidity, being approximately 1129 feet per second at sea level and 984 feet per second at 16 miles altitude.
- adj. Capable of moving at speeds higher than the speed of sound; -- of aircraft.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having frequencies above those of audible sound
- adj. (of speed) greater than the speed of sound in a given medium (especially air)
super- + sonic (Wiktionary)