from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or being an embryo.
- adj. Rudimentary; incipient: an embryonic nation, not yet self-governing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to an embryo.
- adj. Something, especially a project, that is very new and is still evolving; something that has yet to reach its full potential.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to an embryo; embryonal; rudimentary.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the character or being in the condition of an embryo; pertaining or relating to an embryo or embryos; hence, rudimentary; incipient; inchoate: as, an embryonic animal, germ, or cell; embryonic development or researches; an embryonic scheme; civilization is in an embryonic state.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of an organism prior to birth or hatching
- adj. in an early stage of development
From Medieval Latin embryō, embryōn-, embryo; see embryo.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)