from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Vanishing or likely to vanish like vapor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Vanishing, disappearing.
- adj. Ephemeral, momentary, fleeting.
- adj. Barely there; almost imperceptible.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Liable to vanish or pass away like vapor; vanishing; fleeting.
- adj. Vanishing from notice; imperceptible.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Vanishing, or apt to vanish or be dissipated, like vapor; passing away; fleeting: as, the pleasures and joys of life are evanescent.
- Lessening or lessened beyond the reach of perception; impalpable; imperceptible.
- In natural history, unstable; unfixed; hence, uncertain; unreliable: applied to characters which are not fixed or uniformly present, and therefore are valueless for scientific classification.
- In entomology, tending to become obsolete in one part; fading out: as, antennal scrobes evanescent posteriorly.
- In mathematics, infinitesimal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. tending to vanish like vapor
From Latin ēvānēscēns ("vanishing, disappearing") (Wiktionary)