American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Existing or lasting only a short time; short-lived or temporary: "the disorder of his life: the succession of cities, of transitory loves” ( Carson McCullers).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Passing without continuing; lasting only a short time; unstable and fleeting; speedily vanishing.
- Occurring or done in passing; cursory.
- Synonyms Fleeting, etc. (see transient), temporary, evanescent, ephemeral, momentary, short-lived.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Continuing only for a short time; not enduring; fleeting; evanescent.
- adj. lasting a very short time
- transit + -ory. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English transitorie, from Old French transitoire, from Late Latin trānsitōrius, from Latin, having a passageway, from trānsitus, passage; see transit. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Last month, Census workers counted people in "transitory places," from RV parks and marinas to circuses and campgrounds.”
“The count of people in "transitory places" is underway in RV parks, campgrounds and marinas.”
“Don't panic under short-term transitory developments.”
“In its review of Obama's first 100 days, Amnesty International singled out "the possibility of the CIA abducting and detaining people in 'short-term transitory' facilities" as an unacceptable loophole.”
“This came from an otherwise laudable announcement a month ago by the CIA's new director, Leon Panetta, in which Panetta stated, "CIA no longer operates detention facilities or black sites and has proposed a plan to decommission the remaining sites," but added that the agency "retains the authority to detain individuals on a short-term transitory basis.”
“CIA retains the authority to detain individuals on a short-term transitory basis.”
“He says that CIA officers will continue to conduct interrogations, and that the agency retains the authority to hold detainees "on a short-term transitory basis.”
“I'll give you five bucks if he actually uses the word transitory today.”
“Oh, he's grown Cautiously rich, and will venture none of his substantiall stock in transitory Traffick.”
“CIA detains individuals on "a short-term transitory basis".”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘transitory’.
Words that describe the art of the impressionist era.
Use these and get promoted
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
This is a mix of new words I've read studying for the GRE verbal and words I use normally. I also check back on these words if I don't use them often enough.
Looking for tweets for transitory.