Definitions

from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • adj. Involving or lasting a relatively brief time.
  • adj. Payable or reaching maturity within a relatively brief time, such as a year: a short-term loan.
  • adj. Acquired over a relatively brief time: short-term capital gains.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. of or pertaining to the near or immediate future.
  • adj. of or pertaining to a short duration of time

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • adj. relating to or extending over a limited period

Etymologies

short + term (Wiktionary)

Examples

  • So now the IMF is crafting what it calls the short-term liquidity credit line as part of a G-20 effort to strengthen the world's capacity to prevent and respond to economic shocks.

    IMF Plan Sees Role for Fund in Crises

  • "There's really an inherent tension in our minds between what we refer to as short-term goals and long-term ones," DeSteno says.

    NPR Topics: News

  • A spokesman for Rick Perry says the Texas governor does not support what he called "short-term gimmicks."

    News

  • In his own sights are what he calls a "short-term, take-what-you-can, in-it-for-yourself " capitalism and the divide it creates between the top 1 per cent and the other 99 per cent.

    The Independent - Frontpage RSS Feed

  • This is called short-term displacement or the "harvesting" effect of pollution.

    Traffic fumes can trigger heart attacks, say researchers

  • That they could allow such a resource to be lost, and lost for ever, is far more than a dereliction of duty – even a banana republic would blush at the callousness of letting something so good and worthwhile go in the name of short-term cuts Fiona Millar, Education, 12 April.

    Letters: School music coda

  • If the stock sold had been purchased less than a year ago, the trades are classified as short-term.

    Rescue Your Money

  • The immediate memory for events that have just happened is called short-term memory.

    Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

  • Christian insight vigorous forms of meditative state, desciption of memory long-term short-term memory and memories accuracy of childhood of children false neurobiology of neurological disorders and

    Born to Believe

  • Ted had just explained why one category of serial killers were willing to confess—their murdering careers are short in duration, and they are called short-term serial killers.

    The Riverman

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.

Comments

Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.