American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of this earth.
- adj. Terrestrial; not heavenly or divine: earthly existence.
- adj. Worldly: earthly delights; one's earthly possessions.
- adj. Conceivable; possible: no earthly meaning whatever.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the earth or to this world; pertaining to the mundane state of existence: as, earthly objects; earthly residence.
- Belonging to the earth or world; worldly; carnal, as opposed to spiritual or heavenly; vile.
- Made of earth; earthy: as, “earthly substance,”
- Corporeal; not mental.
- Being or originating on earth; of all things in the world; possible; conceivable: used chiefly as an expletive.
- Synonyms Terrestrial, mundane, sublunary, etc. See worldly.
- adj. Relating to the earth or this world, as opposed to heaven.
- adj. negative, informal Used to put an emphasis
- n. UK, colloquial A slightest chance (of success etc.) or idea (about something).
- adv. in an earthy manner
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Pertaining to the earth; belonging to this world, or to man's existence on the earth; not heavenly or spiritual; carnal; worldly.
- adj. Of all things on earth; possible; conceivable.
- adj. obsolete Made of earth; earthy.
- adv. In the manner of the earth or its people; worldly.
- adj. of or belonging to or characteristic of this earth as distinguished from heaven
- Old English eorþlīċ, corresponding to earth + -ly. (Wiktionary)
“People, the moment you start rationalizing earthly power and authority in * earthly* government has been established by GOD, you challenge and threaten to take away our earthly agency and our sense of the Divine invested in us in the call to "do good, do justice" and change corrupt government.”
“Jehovah's Witness #1: We don't vote in earthly elections.”
“All men are miserable in earthly kingdoms, for fate leaves no-one under the heavens unchanged.”
“We should not be distracted like those who have placed their heart entirely in earthly goods ....”
“This is like Governor Mike Huckabee's miracles can defeat math in earthly matters; Huckabee is now an 'also ran'.”
“His Eminence Don Pelasio de Labastida, an eighteenth century bishop of Mexico City set a scandalous example of such indulgence in earthly pleasures.”
“Along the way he's assisted by a woman who may (or may not) be Lucifer in earthly form.”
“There has been ample appeal by the likes of Vincent Gray and Baluinas and Soon to use the lack of complete understanding of the affect of sun spots and gamma radiation to wave away the affect of greenhouse gases on the change in earthly climate over the past several decades.”
“God is not cheering for anyone to gain earthly power, through human institutions like government.”
“Yet that we may not appear to be defective even in earthly honors, let a day be solemnly set apart for proclaiming the charter; let it be brought forth placed on the divine law, the word of God; let a crown be placed thereon, by which the world may know, that so far as we approve as monarchy, that in America THE LAW IS KING.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘earthly’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
Words to describe the art during the Realist movement
Some words of from XTC songs that I like or for some reason stand out. That and a dollar will get you a ride on the bus.
by the Pogues, on the LP "Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash." Lyrics copyright 1985 P. Gaston (according to the Pogues website).
The canals and the bridges, the embankments and cuts,
Looking for tweets for earthly.