American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the body. See Synonyms at bodily.
- adj. Of a material nature; tangible.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of a material or physical nature; having the characteristics of a material body; not mental or spiritual in constitution.
- Relating to a material body or material things; relating to that which is physical: as, corporeal rights.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having a body; consisting of, or pertaining to, a material body or substance; material; -- opposed to
- adj. having material or physical form or substance
- adj. affecting or characteristic of the body as opposed to the mind or spirit
- From Latin corporeus, from corpus ("body"); compare corporal. (Wiktionary)
- From Latin corporeus, from corpus, corpor-, body; see kwrep- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Since the belief that God became man is central to Christianity, such a remark must be aimed at the various attempts to either reduce or eliminate the mystery of God, often taken to the point where "God" is simply identified as man's projection: "Those who have no desires have no gods either," claimed Feuerbach, "Gods are mens wishes in corporeal form" (quoted by de Lubac in The Drama of Atheist Humanism).”
“Brydon looked down, surprised to find himself in corporeal form.”
“Which leaves you to believe the his father is alive and in corporeal form.”
“The importance of William of Norwich to his aunt Liviva is made apparent in corporeal manifestations of the pain she feels: "A cold shiver invaded her innermost marrow, her face grew pale, her mind fled along with her blood, and as if dead she fell from the hands of the bystanders to the ground.”
“Philoponus, in contrast, arrives at something he calls corporeal extension (sÃ´matikÃ³n diÃ¡stÃªma), which is a composite of Neoplatonic prime matter and indeterminate quantity and must not be confused with Philoponian space.”
“The expression corporeal world includes the celestial spheres and all which is under them.”
“In some instances, but not always, in corporeal strength: in activity of mind, she is his equal.”
“According to Descartes, the essence of body is extension; that is, a corporeal substance is simply a geometric object made concrete, an object that has size and shape and is in motion.”
“˜Tis plain then, that the idea of corporeal substance in matter, is as remote from our conceptions, and apprehensions, as that of spiritual substance, or spirit; ¦ (II 23 v)”
“This explains why fits of drowsiness are especially apt to come on after meals; for the matter, both the liquid and the corporeal, which is borne upwards in a mass, is then of considerable quantity.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘corporeal’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Collected from reading
Going through the Magoosh website, words I pulled from the verbal section. 2012.
words i need to memorize
All my favourite words that I come across!
Looking for tweets for corporeal.