from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Springing from or born on the earth.
- adj. Human; mortal: earthborn existence.
- adj. Of or connected with earthly life: earthborn pleasures.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Born or produced on the planet Earth.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Born of the earth; terrigenous; springing originally from the earth; human; having the characteristics of earthly life.
- adj. Relating to, or occasioned by, earthly objects.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Born of the earth; springing originally from the earth: as, the fabled earth-born giants.
- Arising from or occasioned by earthly considerations.
- Of low birth; meanly born.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. springing from or born on the earth
- adj. of earthly origin (as mortals are)
- adj. connected with earthly life; of earthly origin
The practice in ancient Greece of describing legendary heroes and men of ancient lineage as "earthborn" greatly strengthened the doctrine of autochthony; for instance, the Athenians wore golden grasshoppers in their hair in token that they were born from the soil and had always lived in
The lead Jereist, a burly earthborn, wore a reproduction of the casual deep-purple suit that Jere Gutierrez had been wearing on that day they launched Mars Enterprise.
By now the earthborn men were springing up over all the field; and the plot of Ares, the death-dealer, bristled with sturdy shields and double-pointed spears and shining helmets; and the gleam reached Olympus from beneath, flashing through the air.
Them he scared in flight towards the plain; but he went back again to the ship, while he still saw the furrows free of the earthborn men.
Dictaean cave; and the earthborn Cyclopes had not yet armed him with the bolt, with thunder and lightning; for these things give renown to
Thereupon the spear-heads of the earthborn men shall not pierce thee, nor the flame of the deadly bulls as it rushes forth resistless.
Thou didst give me to earthborn Echion, as men call him.
My experience creating Captain Abigail Shepherd, earthborn infiltrator, suggests that the character generator has a disturbing obsession with making your character resemble Clea Duvall.
The hot vapour lapped round the earthborn Titans: flame unspeakable rose to the bright upper air: the flashing glare of the thunder-stone and lightning blinded their eyes for all that there were strong.
Erebus unto the gods, that her mother may see her with her eyes and cease from her dread anger with the immortals; for now she plans an awful deed, to destroy the weakly tribes of earthborn men by keeping seed hidden beneath the earth, and so she makes an end of the honours of the undying gods.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.