Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to, of the nature of, or characterized by materialism, in any sense of that word.
- adj. Being overly concerned with material possessions and wealth.
- adj. Of or concerning philosophical materialism.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to materialism or materialists; of the nature of materialism.
- adj. Primarily concerned with material objects and worldly activities, as contrasted with spiritual, moral or philosophical concerns; especially, concerned primarily with gaining money and the things that money can buy.
- adj. marked by materialism
- adj. conforming to the standards and conventions of the middle class
“Yet it would seem that such a proposition must be held by a materialist, or by what can be implied by the term "monist," used in its narrowest and most unphilosophic sense -- a sense which would be better expressed by the term materialistic-monist, with a limitation of the term matter to the terrestrial chemical elements and their combinations, _i. e._, to that form of substance to which the human race has grown accustomed -- a sense which tends to exclude ethereal and other generalisations and unknown possibilities such as would occur to a philosophic monist of the widest kind.”
“This, of course, made sensory qualities as experienced inexplicable in materialistic terms.”
“While their priorities initially differed, repeatedly talking about their financial goals got the couple focused on long-term planning versus shorter-term "materialistic needs," he says.”
“If we think of comfort as producing the highest type of manhood, so sure as we do, our spiritual power will lessen, our spiritual faculty will be atrophied, our spiritual speech will be degraded, and we shall talk in materialistic language which will really be a sign of decay rather than of power.”
“B) Participation can’t be evaluated in materialistic terms, so it’s excluded from consideration.”
“I've heard our culture described as materialistic, but we don't seem to love the material world all that much.”
“But feminism is not about an obligation to look like you're above what some might call materialistic things, because none of us are, really... if you dress down just to look smart, you're still compromising your own interests for the sake of what someone else finds suitable, when really the most subversive thing you can do as a girl is just do what you want.”
“The so-called materialistic “American dream” will be dismantled, in the process.”
“Coming from a generation that has been called materialistic and cynical, such idealism should be refreshing.”
“First it is making a negative assertion: that so called materialistic or naturalistic explanations cannot suffice for certain observed phenomenon.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘materialistic’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for materialistic.