American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or dealing with existence.
- adj. Based on experience; empirical.
- adj. Of or as conceived by existentialism or existentialists: an existential moment of choice.
- adj. Linguistics Of or relating to a construction or part of a construction that indicates existence, as the words there is in the sentence There is a cat on the mat.
- n. Linguistics An existential word or construction.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining to, or consisting in existence; ontological.
- Expressing or stating the fact of existence.
- Pertaining to external and accidental characters.
- adj. Of, or relating to existence.
- adj. Based on experience; empirical.
- adj. philosophy Of, or relating to existentialism.
- adj. linguistics That part of a sentence indicating existence e.g. "there is".
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Archaic Having existence.
- adj. of or pertaining to, or having the character of, existentialism.
- adj. (Logic) specifying actual existence, rather than only possibility.
- adj. relating to or dealing with existence (especially with human existence)
- adj. derived from experience or the experience of existence
- adj. of or as conceived by existentialism
- From Old French existence. (Wiktionary)
“He did not specifically mention Iran, but the use of the phrase "existential threat" in Israel generally refers to Iran.”
“He also received standing ovations by citing what he called existential threats posed to Israel by Iran's nuclear program and the militant Palestinian group Hamas, which the U.S. designates a terrorist group.”
“I caught up again recently with digital pioneer and media contrarian Jeff Einstein of the Brothers Einstein, and we discussed what he describes as the existential crisis in the commercial media channels today.”
“Similarly, "Laura No. 1" 2009 stares at her image in the mirror with an expression of existential questioning as she considers what to do next.”
“Where it asserts that the order inherent in existential reality is "so profound" that one "can see that it is the handiwork of God," this is at root a valid description of human responses to complexity: as one becomes cognizant of higher and higher degrees of order one is quite likely to experience a higher and higher conviction that this order is the result of deliberate design.”
“The teleological argument is implicit: to observe the complex order evident in existential reality is, in and of itself, the decisive action of verification; such complex order can only arise from design, so to establish the epistemic certainty of such complex order is to establish the epistemic certainty of the action of design having been carried out by a designing agency.”
“It is to say that the complex order evident in existential reality is a product of deliberate design carried out by an Absolute Deity as named and characterized in a specific religious belief-system.”
“The specific version that I have described is known as the existential security hypothesis.”
“On one level, this tale of a woman who leaves her home and family on the outskirts of London to lose and find herself is a classic study in existential isolation, a subject dear to the hearts of British playwrights.”
“If the name checking of prominent figures in existential philosophy hasn't clued you in to what kind of a film you're in for, then this may not be the movie for you.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘existential’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
From a book about life and death.
Collected from reading
Common and not-so-common adjectives found while studying philosophy.
Words of a delicious nature ... for whatever reason
Words from politics, news, and business
Words associated with homeland security
Random words, non-words
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 3027 more...
Words that make me happy in my pants AND have a place in the dictionary.
a couple words
Looking for tweets for existential.