from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or moving along or in the direction of a tangent.
- adj. Merely touching or slightly connected.
- adj. Only superficially relevant; divergent: a tangential remark.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Referring to a tangent, moving at a tangent to something.
- adj. Merely touching, positioned as a tangent.
- adj. Only indirectly related.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a tangent; in the direction of a tangent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In geology, specifically applied to strains in the earth's crust which are applied in a direction tangential to its surface.
- Of or pertaining to a tangent; being or moving in the direction of a tangent.
- Figuratively, slightly connected; touch-and-go.
- n. In the geom. of plane cubic curves, the point at which the tangent from any point cuts the curve again. The point of intersection is called the tangential or the point of tangency.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or acting along or in the direction of a tangent
- adj. of superficial relevance if any
Sorry, no etymologies found.