from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process or an instance of coming together; an encounter.
- n. An assembly or gathering of people, as for a business, social, or religious purpose.
- idiom meeting of the minds Agreement; concord.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of meet.
- n. A gathering of people/parties for a purpose.
- n. The people at such a gathering, as a collective.
- n. An encounter between people, even accidental.
- n. A place or instance of junction or intersection.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A coming together; an assembling.
- n. A junction, crossing, or union.
- n. A congregation; a collection of people; a convention
- n. An assembly for worship; ; -- in England, applied distinctively and disparagingly to the worshiping assemblies of Dissenters.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A coming together; an interview: as, a happy meeting of friends.
- n. An assembly; a congregation; a collection of people; a convention: as, a social, religious, or political meeting; the meeting adjourned till the next day: applied in the United States, especially in rural districts, to any assemblage for religious worship, and in England and Ireland to one of dissenters from the established church; specifically, an assembly of Friends for religious purposes: as, to go to meeting.
- n. A conflux, as of rivers; a confluence; a joining, as of lines; junction; union.
- n. A hostile encounter; a duel.
- n. plural In mining, the point in a mine-shaft where the ascending and descending cages meet. When the coal was raised in creels or corves the shaft was bulged at the meetings.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a place where things merge or flow together (especially rivers)
- n. a casual or unexpected convergence
- n. a formally arranged gathering
- n. the social act of assembling for some common purpose
- n. the act of joining together as one
- n. a small informal social gathering
Sorry, no etymologies found.