American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A violent attack.
- n. An overwhelming outpouring: an onslaught of third-class mail.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Attack; onset; aggression; assault; an inroad; an incursion; a bloody attack.
- n. Synonyms Assault, etc. See onset.
- n. A fierce attack.
- n. A large quantity of people or things resembling an attack.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An attack; an onset; esp., a furious or murderous attack or assault.
- n. Scot. A bloody fray or battle.
- n. the rapid and continuous delivery of linguistic communication (spoken or written)
- n. (military) an offensive against an enemy (using weapons)
- n. a sudden and severe onset of trouble
- From anslaight (compare Dutch aanslag and German Anschlag), equivalent to on- + slaught. (Wiktionary)
- Alteration (influenced by obsolete slaughte, slaughter) of Dutch aanslag, a striking at, from Middle Dutch aenslach : aen-, on; + slach, a striking. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“An angry Mr. Kasich tells me that this onslaught is the way it's been from the Strickland campaign for 14 straight months.”
“It's clear to me that the media onslaught is the default.”
“I think if we back him up he will be able to overcome this onslaught from the greedy power brokers and the congressmen that have their hands in the till.”
“Elena's struggle to escape the onslaught is quite engrossing.”
“For others the final onslaught is like scaling Annapurna on the double.”
“If anything, the current military onslaught is serving to only strengthen the enemy.”
“Now, on the eve of an election when many candidates will sink under an onslaught from the far right, we should have a national vision -- and concentrate on saving the ones who most truly represent our values.”
“As the 4 Niagara ANiC parishes brace themselves for the next legal onslaught from a diocesan administration bent on exacting revenge for the affront of being told they have abandoned the Christian religion, it is hard to avoid the conclusion that the predicament of Christopher Grabiec and his master is a contemporary exposition of Exodus 4: 21.”
“We all know there are a million things that pull at us every day for attention, and the only way to navigate the mental onslaught is to prioritize.”
“Theodore and the Colorado Avalanche withstood another onslaught from the relentless Wild for a series-clinching 2-1 win Saturday night.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘onslaught’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
English words of Anglo-Saxon origin.
words for fighting
( open list, randomness )
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
Names for the next generation of My Little Ponies. Inspired by Star's list.
words that kick ass, in the non-literal sense
Includes any intangible conceivable independently of Hom. Sap.
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
"Wow, we really have run out of names."
Codenames of superheroes, supervillains, etc. (that are actual words, or unique spellings of actual words).
Looking for tweets for onslaught.