from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A violent attack.
- n. An overwhelming outpouring: an onslaught of third-class mail.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fierce attack.
- n. A large quantity of people or things resembling an attack.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An attack; an onset; esp., a furious or murderous attack or assault.
- n. A bloody fray or battle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Attack; onset; aggression; assault; an inroad; an incursion; a bloody attack.
- n. Synonyms Assault, etc. See onset.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the rapid and continuous delivery of linguistic communication (spoken or written)
- n. (military) an offensive against an enemy (using weapons)
- n. a sudden and severe onset of trouble
An angry Mr. Kasich tells me that this onslaught is the way it's been from the Strickland campaign for 14 straight months.
It's clear to me that the media onslaught is the default.
I think if we back him up he will be able to overcome this onslaught from the greedy power brokers and the congressmen that have their hands in the till.
Elena's struggle to escape the onslaught is quite engrossing.
For others the final onslaught is like scaling Annapurna on the double.
If anything, the current military onslaught is serving to only strengthen the enemy.
Now, on the eve of an election when many candidates will sink under an onslaught from the far right, we should have a national vision -- and concentrate on saving the ones who most truly represent our values.
As the 4 Niagara ANiC parishes brace themselves for the next legal onslaught from a diocesan administration bent on exacting revenge for the affront of being told they have abandoned the Christian religion, it is hard to avoid the conclusion that the predicament of Christopher Grabiec and his master is a contemporary exposition of Exodus 4: 21.
We all know there are a million things that pull at us every day for attention, and the only way to navigate the mental onslaught is to prioritize.
Theodore and the Colorado Avalanche withstood another onslaught from the relentless Wild for a series-clinching 2-1 win Saturday night.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.