from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sudden, violent display, as of activity or emotion: an outburst of indignation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To burst out.
- n. a sudden, violent expression of emotion or activity
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bursting forth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To burst out.
- n. A breaking or bursting out; a violent issue or discharge; an outbreak: as, an outburst of wrath.
- n. In mining:
- n. A sudden outbreak of gas or water in a mine.
- n. The outcrop.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an unrestrained expression of emotion
- n. a sudden violent disturbance
- n. a sudden intense happening
From Middle English *outbersten, *outbresten, *outbrasten, equivalent to out- + burst. (Wiktionary)