from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A state of mind or emotion.
- n. A pervading impression of an observer: the somber mood of the painting.
- n. An incidence of sulking or angry behavior.
- n. Inclination; disposition.
- n. Grammar A set of verb forms or inflections used to indicate the speaker's attitude toward the factuality or likelihood of the action or condition expressed. In English the indicative mood is used to make factual statements, the subjunctive mood to indicate doubt or unlikelihood, and the imperative mood to express a command.
- n. Logic The arrangement or form of a syllogism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a mental or emotional state, composure
- n. a sullen mental state; a bad mood
- n. a disposition to do something
- n. a prevalent atmosphere or feeling
- n. A verb form that depends on how its containing clause relates to the speaker’s or writer’s wish, intent, or assertion about reality
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Manner; style; mode; logical form; musical style; manner of action or being. See mode which is the preferable form).
- n. Manner of conceiving and expressing action or being, as positive, possible, conditional, hypothetical, obligatory, imperitive, etc., without regard to other accidents, such as time, person, number, etc.
- n. Temper of mind; temporary state of the mind in regard to passion or feeling; humor
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Mind; heart.
- n. Temper of mind; state of the mind as regards passion or feeling; disposition; humor: as, a melancholy mood.
- n. Heat of temper; anger.
- n. Zeal: in the phrase with main and mood, with might and main; with a will.
- n. A morbid or fantastic state of mind, as a fit of bad temper, sudden anger, or sullenness; also, absence of mind, or abstraction: generally used in the plural.
- n. A state of mind with reference to something to be done or omitted; a more or less capricious state of feeling disposing one to action: commonly in the phrase in the mood: as, many artists work only when they are in the mood.
- n. In grammar, same as mode, 3.
- n. In logic, a variety of syllogism depending on the quantity (universal or particular) and quality (affirmative or negative) of the propositions composing it.
- n. In music, same as mode, 7.
- n. Mother-of-vinegar.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the prevailing psychological state
- n. a characteristic (habitual or relatively temporary) state of feeling
- n. verb inflections that express how the action or state is conceived by the speaker
doesn't take much to get me in a mood oh! you mean the mood*. . .
The striking change in mood is rooted not in local politics, but in a crisis unfolding thousands of miles away.
* Former DNC Chair Howard Dean says the pundits are misreading 2010: the mood is anti-incumbent, not anti-Democrat.
At Tod's, where the mood is aristocratic Italian minimalist, the immaculately dressed and mannered Wayne proffers the classic "Heavens" driving shoe in brown with lavender lacing, at £ 230 — great with cropped pants, but beware the jeans, lest one look like a school-gate mum (oh, that's right, I am one).
Lightening the mood is always a way to give the reader perspective on the graveness of whatever situation is at hand.
So I'm a bit (read: a whole boatload of a lot) cranky and tired and with the bouts of insomnia I've had in the last ten days, my mood is a little off.
But the mood is as dark as it should be with such serious subject matter.
Once I realized that my mood is always a constant (I have assigned it a value of 3288), it became much easier to calculate.
Paul Elsewho said ... so if my mood is at 7 billion, am i still human? even further, what if i reach my capacity of making up concepts of friends that will leave me, what then?
Niko said ... when your mood is at 7billion you are considered manic by society and incarcerated, obv.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.