from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or quality of being continuous.
- n. An uninterrupted succession or flow; a coherent whole.
- n. A detailed script or scenario consulted to avoid discrepancies from shot to shot in a film, allowing the various scenes to be shot out of order.
- n. Spoken matter serving to link parts of a radio or television program so that no break occurs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Lack of interruption or disconnection; the quality of being continuous in space or time.
- n. A characteristic property of a continuous function.
- n. A narrative device in episodic fiction where previous and/or future events in a story series are accounted for in present stories.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the state of being continuous; uninterrupted connection or succession; close union of parts; cohesion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Uninterrupted connection of parts in space or time; uninterruptedness.
- n. In mathematics and philosophy, a connection of points (or other elements) as intimate as that of the instants or points of an interval of time: thus, the continuity of space consists in this, that a point can move from any one position to any other so that at each instant it shall have a definite and distinct position in space.
- n. In zoology and anatomy, that part of a thing which lies between the two ends, as the shaft of a long bone, or its diaphysis, as distinguished from its condyles or epiphyses, or the middle portion of the bill of a bird, as distinguished from the base and apex.
- n. In biology, the existence of successive generations of living beings without any gap or interruption of material composition. See germinal continuity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a detailed script used in making a film in order to avoid discontinuities from shot to shot
- n. uninterrupted connection or union
- n. the property of a continuous and connected period of time
Sorry, no etymologies found.