from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality of being calm and even-tempered; composure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being calm, stable and composed, especially under stress.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Evenness of mind; that calm temper or firmness of mind which is not easily elated or depressed; patience; calmness; composure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Evenness of mind or temper; calmness or firmness, especially under conditions adapted to excite great emotion; a state of resistance to elation, depression, anger, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. steadiness of mind under stress
Latin aequanimitās, from aequanimus, even-tempered, impartial : aequus, even + animus, mind; see anə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin aequanimitās ("calmness, equanimity"), from aequus ("even; calm; fair") + animus ("mind, soul") + -itās. (Wiktionary)