from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Self-confident assurance; poise. See Synonyms at confidence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. self-confidence; poise; composure.
- n. stability; the basic law of ballet.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Assurance of manner or of action; self-possession.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Self-possession springing from perfect confidence in one's self; assurance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. great coolness and composure under strain
French, from Old French a plomb, perpendicularly : a, according to (from Latin ad-; see ad-) + plomb, lead weight (from Latin plumbum, lead).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French aplomb (Wiktionary)