from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A ceremonious act of deference or obeisance, especially a low bow performed while placing the right palm on the forehead.
- n. A respectful ceremonial greeting performed especially in Islamic countries.
- transitive v. To greet with or perform a salaam.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- interj. A respectful ceremonial greeting performed mostly in Islamic countries.
- n. A low bow as a ceremonial act of deference.
- v. To perform a salaam.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as salam.
- intransitive v. To make or perform a salam.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A ceremonious salutation of the Orientals.
- To perform the salaam; salute with a salaam; greet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. greet with a salaam
- n. a deep bow; a Muslim form of salutation
Arabic salām, peace, salaam, from salima, to be safe; see šlm in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Arabic سلام (peace) (Wiktionary)