American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To bend the knee or touch one knee to the floor or ground, as in worship.
- v. To be servilely respectful or deferential; grovel.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bend the knee, as in an act of worship or of respect; perform genuflection.
- v. intransitive To bend the knee, as in servitude or worship
- v. intransitive To behave in a servile manner; to grovel.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To bend the knee, as in worship.
- v. bend the knees and bow in church or before a religious superior or image
- v. bend the knees and bow in a servile manner
- From around 1620–1630 from Medieval Latin genūflectō ("I bend the knee") equivalent to the Latin genū ("knee") + flectō ("to bend"). (Wiktionary)
- Late Latin genūflectere : Latin genū, knee; see genu-1 in Indo-European roots + Latin flectere, to bend. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I'm shocked, SHOCKED … dgardner @TonyClement_MP: There are options between "genuflect" and "dismiss with extreme prejudice.”
“Maybe it's a stretch, but I think it's a take off of the word "genuflect," which means to go down on your knees.”
“genuflect," but it doesn't matter, because it's hot girls with large breasts and wearing tight clothing fighting a giant mutated frog!”
“Looking back at Labour health policy now, I have to ask myself how so many of us were unable to see through the mists of what Leys and Player call the "misrepresentation, obfuscation, and deception" perpetrated by Blair, Brown, and a host of health ministers all too willing to genuflect to the market zeitgeist.”
“Instead they genuflect to the allegedly superior wisdom of markets, and retreat to the comfort zone of saying that the best and only thing they can do is to balance their books – precisely the wrong thing to do in the wake of a financial crisis.”
“So there you have it: the great high priest of Darwinian Dogma has spoken; all nonsense perhaps, but atheists, please genuflect.”
“Now, in fairness, we conservatives don't genuflect when someone invokes the Gray Lady as the ultimate authority in all matters temporal and spiritual.”
“This crew, which could not even see the $8 trillion housing bubble that was about to wreck the economy, wants the whole country to genuflect before their projections of deficits for 10 or 15 years into the future.”
“Importantly, the Supreme Court remains under the sway of free market fundamentalists who genuflect to corporate needs in almost every decision.”
“Congressmen genuflect when LaPierre walks in a room and the press fawns over him as though he really has the interests of anyone but Wayne LaPierre at heart.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘genuflect’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
In honor (?) of John
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
Words contained in the screenplay of Wizard of Oz, 1939 film.
Comments show the actual "line" from the film.
The words are tagged for grade-level
Words I have come across that I don't know the meaning of!
I enjoy collecting words, for I have no fear of them ever running out.
a couple words
cool mint antiseptic
Words as I learn them.
Our chief weapons are words, that's all. Just words. Only words, not justly words, that is.
That is to say that there are only words in this list, not words that are just, although s...
a list of the words i HAVE to know..
Looking for tweets for genuflect.