from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of bow. (bend)
- n. The act of bending at the waist, as a sign of respect or greeting.
- n. A bending.
- n. A technique for bowing a musical instrument, such as a violin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or art of managing the bow in playing on stringed instruments.
- n. In hatmaking, the act or process of separating and distributing the fur or hair by means of a bow, to prepare it for felting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The operation of separating and arranging as desired the filaments of some fibrous material, as hatters' fur or (in Eastern countries) cotton, by vibrating a bow-string upon it.
- n. In music: The general method of using the bow in playing upon an instrument of the violin family.
- n. The method by which the notes of a given passage are distributed between up- and down-strokes of the bow.
- n. A lease of the dairy stock on a farm. See bower.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. managing the bow in playing a stringed instrument
- n. bending the head or body or knee as a sign of reverence or submission or shame or greeting
- adj. showing an excessively deferential manner
Sorry, no etymologies found.