Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being calm. Quietness; stillness; tranquillity, as of the elements.
- n. Quietness; mildness; unruffled state of the mind, passions, or temper.
- n. Synonyms Indifference, Insensibility, etc. (see apathy), quietude, serenity, repose, composure, placidness, peacefulness.
- n. uncountable The state of being calm; tranquillity; silence.
- n. countable The product of being calm.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state of quality of being calm; quietness; tranquillity; self-repose.
- n. an absence of strong winds or rain
- n. a feeling of calm; an absence of agitation or excitement
- n. steadiness of mind under stress
- From calm + -ness (Wiktionary)
“And I just think that there's a certain calmness that comes with being able to say with honesty that I've done this before.”
“His calmness is in deep contrast to that of many of his parliamentary colleagues and the media hysteria about lack of security.”
“I believe in calmness and serenity, in not getting wild on the sidelines.”
“Jane sobbed noisily, but the others were calm with what is sometimes called the calmness of despair.”
“Gabriel’s calmness is the result of military training, mostly mine.”
“- Gabriel’s calmness is the result of military training, mostly mine.”
“Her calmness was a welcome counterpoint to the manic competitiveness of the caffeine-charged alpha moms.”
“Beneath his calmness was a stab of pain; she could sense it as if it were her own.”
“The night passed away, and the sun rose from the ocean; my feelings became calmer, if it may be called calmness, when the violence of rage sinks into the depths of despair.”
“The night passed away, and the sun rose from the ocean; my feelings became calmer, if it may be called calmness when the violence of rage sinks into the depths of despair.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘calmness’.
All my favourite words that I come across!
words which contain a string of three or more consecutive letters
Looking for tweets for calmness.