from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being peaceful.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being peaceful; freedom from war, tumult, disturbance, or discord; peaceableness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state that is calm and tranquil
- n. the absence of mental stress or anxiety
America's peacefulness is merely a self-serving national myth.
The rankings show that even among the G8 countries there are significant differences in peacefulness: While Japan was the most peaceful of the G8 countries, at a rank of five in the Index, Russia neared the bottom at number 118.
Ironically enough its peacefulness is due to war: for if it were not for the artillery practice-ranges which lie behind it, it would long ago have been exploited.
Would you give me a definition of peacefulness then since it seems like I’m looking at peacefulness in one aspect and you’re saying it’s different?
I was gasping for the kind of oxygen that can only be found in peacefulness.
This business of love for love's sake, mocking at law and morality, scorning life and peacefulness, that is our privilege, the privilege of us bohemians -- the sole blessing left to us mad creatures whom society looks upon -- quite properly, I suppose -- with disdainful mistrust.
Peckman put another measure on the ballot seven years ago that would have required the city to increase "peacefulness" through mass stress-reduction techniques like meditation and piping smooth sounds into public buildings.
East muslims apparently can't see the "peacefulness" of the Quran.
• The denier will feel justified in acting out against those who threaten the peacefulness of their fantasy check out the "peacefulness" and "reasonable" slogans chanted at most antiwar rallies these days.
There was almost total "peacefulness" and you could walk almost anywhere without a weapon and even the thought of any danger.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.