American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The overall condition of an organism at a given time.
- n. Soundness, especially of body or mind; freedom from disease or abnormality.
- n. A condition of optimal well-being: concerned about the ecological health of the area.
- n. A wish for someone's good health, often expressed as a toast.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Soundness of body; that condition of a living organism and of its various parts and functions which conduces to efficient and prolonged life; a normal bodily condition. Health implies also, physiologically, the ability to produce offspring fitted to live long and to perform efficiently the ordinary functions of their species.
- n. In an extended use, the general condition of the body with reference to the degree of soundness and vigor, whether normal or impaired: as, good health; ill health; how is your health?
- n. Natural vigor of the faculties; moral or intellectual soundness.
- n. Power of healing, or giving health; capacity for restoring, strengthening, enlightening, purifying, etc.: chiefly in Scripture.
- n. A salutation or a toast; an invocation of health and happiness for another: as, to drink a health to one.
- n. A state of well-being or balance, often physical but sometimes also mental and social; the overall level of function of an organism from the cellular (micro) level to the social (macro) level.
- n. Physical condition.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state of being hale, sound, or whole, in body, mind, or soul; especially, the state of being free from physical disease or pain.
- n. A wish of health and happiness, as in pledging a person in a toast.
- n. a healthy state of wellbeing free from disease
- n. the general condition of body and mind
- From Middle English helthe, from Old English hǣlþ. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English helthe, from Old English hǣlth; see kailo- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“You might be interested in health taxonomies. taxonomies ~health finds healthcare, medicine, medical.”
“And while the health vertical online is quite competitive, many of the names in the segment are not well known to consumers because of the occasional nature of health search.”
“-- 'Be careful to let no fretting injure your health as I have suffered it -- health is the greatest of blessings -- with _health_ and”
“Never fear the toil to her: exercise is good for health; and without _health_ there is _no beauty_; a sick beauty may excite pity, but pity is a short-lived passion.”
Advice to Young Men And (Incidentally) to Young Women in the Middle and Higher Ranks of Life. In a Series of Letters, Addressed to a Youth, a Bachelor, a Lover, a Husband, a Father, a Citizen, or a Subject.
“IBM buys firm that serves health-care industry - Chicago Tribune kumarworld21 IBM buys firm that serves health-care industry | IBM Corp. said Wednesday it is buying Initiate Systems, a .. luckyhendrik #health IBM buys firm that serves health-care industry: By Wailin Wong Tribune reporter IBM Corp. said Wednesday i ... noetical Nancy Pelosi's new health care plan”
“Now if I want to find everything I have tagged under health and social networking, all I need to do is search for to: +health or to: +socialnetworking and bingo, the article turns up.”
“Now in the primitive church the faithful, and even those in health, used to communicate not only during mass, but also at other times, as is evident from the office of the presanctified, at which, according to the Gelasian sacramentary, all present communicated, as well as from the numerous ancient instances of communion under one kind mentioned in the preceding chapter; for in these cases it was not received during the mass, and many of them are cases of "_persons in health_".”
“#health newcoventry Canada breathes a sigh of relief as they no longer have to cover all those American athlete's health care any longer.”
“what is the X factor in this? is it money or health or partner or childrin? health +childrin+partner - money = ZERO …. you cant injoy life money +health +partner - childrin = ZERO …. childrin are the sweet of life partner + mony+ childrin - health = ZERO …. you will spind your time with doctors”
“Slide 9: International Human Rights Framework (3) KEY PRINCIPLE: Everyone has the right to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health - Article 12, International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (entered into force, 1976) Key concepts in rights-based approaches to health*: Hold duty-bearers accountable - respect, protect, and fulfill rights (¶ 33 - 37) Progressive realization (¶”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘health’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
as enshrined in the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
The 100 most frequent words of Bill Clinton’s Speech to the Democratic National Convention
Words we have to use all the time, but that doesn't mean they sound good. In fact, they kind of suck. See also this list.
List of my favorite words
Very basic words for ESL students.
from the poetry and prose of walt whitman
They went to sea in a Sieve, they did,
In a Sieve they went to sea:
In spite of all their friends could say,
On a winter's morn, on a stormy day,
In a Sieve they went to...
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
these are some of my favorite words...
Looking for tweets for health.