from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Music An unaccented beat or beats that occur before the first beat of a measure. Also called anacrusis, pickup.
- n. Music The upward stroke made by a conductor to indicate the beat that leads into a new measure.
- adj. Informal Optimistic: an upbeat business forecast.
- adj. Informal Happy; cheerful.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a fast pace, tempo, or beat.
- adj. Having a positive, lively, or perky tone, attitude, etc.
- n. An unaccented beat at the start of a musical phrase.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. pleasantly (even unrealistically) optimistic
- n. an unaccented beat (especially the last beat of a measure)
- n. a contented state of being happy and healthy and prosperous
up- + beat (Wiktionary)